Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

That Gypsy Blood

During a recent conversation with my grandmother, she informed me that her mother (my great-grandmother) had gypsy in her blood, because she was constantly moving the family around when Grandmother was little. She also likes to say that she (Grandmother) and my mom have fish in their blood, because they feel land-locked when they're not near the ocean, and they love the water. I have always loved my mom's stories about when she was growing up and the family went to St Simon's Island every summer, and my grandfather would make an anchor for my grandmother's float, and she would bake in the ocean all day, floating in her bikini, covered in baby oil. My grandmother is the most glamorous lady I know.
I love the water too, (although I've never mastered that art of effortlessly floating on my back in the water which all the other women in my family seem to have been born with), so maybe I have a little fishy in me, but I think that gypsy thing skipped a few generations and landed smack on me, with a vengeance. I don't really believe in astrology or any of that, but when I read somewhere that as a Sagittarius I easily get restless and I have a constant need for change and adventure...well, I think they had something right. I call it my "ants in my pants" syndrome; I get into these phases where I just want to hop in my car and drive somewhere far far away and never come back.

Maybe it is the change in the weather? Or maybe it's that gypsy blood after all.

Maybe it would help if I had a sweet motorcycle like Mr. Dean here. Or it could be that I just love an excuse to look at a picture of him whenever possible.

Happy pollen season everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment